Saturday, March 29, 2008

DOUGLAS ART, OR DOUGLAS GRAFFITI?





I always stop and look at this wonderful image in Douglas. It's on a carpark wall of all places, near the Post Office, just off the promenade.It's peeling, but still quite vibrant colourwise. It's the first time I've photographed it, and I wondered how many other people actually take a long hard look themselves when they pass it.

Question is, is this art or graffit.?Technically it's graffiti, as it's painted on public property, but you have to agree, it's rather artisically executed. It's certainly brigthens up a dull grey area and that can't be a bad thing now can it?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

GRAFFITI

laxeylass said...

It is graffiti but it's nice and bright.I like your photographs. Do you have any of Laxey?

JAMJARSUPERSTAR said...

Well it's arty graffiti, if that makes sense. It's a really beautiful picture though. The way graffiti should be and not just some strange person's name scrawled across a wall!
Keep posting the pix!

http://scarletsculturegarden.blogspot.com
http://jamjarsuperstar.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

It's a painting which is art to me.

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

artistic graffitti is how I'd class it.

Gerald (SK14) said...

sorry to hear it has now been white-washed - it least you recorded it for posterity.

CrazyCow said...

For me, beautiful graffitti like this is art. How sad it's been whitewashed.

SandyCarlson said...

This child doesn't distinguish between art and graffiti; I see graffiti as a genre.

The peeled areas add to the sense of storm in this image. Interesting this guy is standing in a boat that is tethered to something despite the change in the weather.

The aging process has added to the story here, just as age adds to our own stories.

SandyCarlson said...

Thanks for your offer to email it to me. Could I post it on Strange Attractions with your photo credit and link it back to this post?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin